Introducing our "Green Heroes" - General Election 2019
"We believe that each generation is responsible for the fate of our planet and, by safeguarding the balance of nature and the environment, for the long-term continuity of life in all its forms."
Extract from the Preamble to the Liberal Democrat Constitution (in place since 1988)
Here at GLD (Green Liberal Democrats) we've been so excited to learn about how many of our MP candidates are real green heroes - already fighting in their professional life, as councillors or members of the community for a cleaner, safer planet.
We've picked a selection of 30 of our top "green heroes" to give you a sense of what our Lib Dem candidates are made of and what could be possible if we work together to elect more Green Heroes into Parliament. Our first profile is of Pippa Heylings our candidate for South East Cambridgeshire...)
We are sharing the profile of at least one of our Green Heroes every day throughout the election and we hope you will be inspired to help them by sharing their profile with your friends and family and supporting their campaign.
It is important to emphasise that all our Liberal Democrat candidates are heroes! As we head into the most significant General Election in a Generation, we're so proud to be THE party with THE plan which could really deliver a fair and fast transition to Net Zero Carbon Emissions by 2045.
Every single Lib Dem MP that you help to elect will be responsible for driving our climate and environment policy priorities through Parliament.
But we hope that you find our list of Green Heroes particularly inspiring. These are Lib Dem candidates who specifically place climate and environmental issues at the front and centre in their campaigns and who we believe will personally push these priorities in parliament. Politics is not just about policies - it`s about people who are willing to put their heart and soul into making the policies happen.
We believe THIS election will be the defining election for tackling the Climate Emergency
We only have one decade left to make massive change to reduce emissions of greenhouse gases and get on a path to a zero-carbon economy. Bold action in this next parliament is essential. We hope you will be as inspired as we are by the potential of our Green Heroes and countless other Lib Dem candidates across the country to make change happen.
If so, please visit our candidate campaign sites, find out more how you could support them with your time, money, social media, votes!
- Pippa Heylings is our candidate in S E Cambridgeshire
- Jason Billin is standing as the Liberal Democrat candidate for Rushcliffe, the seat held by Ken Clarke for many years
- Katie Critchlow is our candidate in Swindon North
- Felix Dodds is the Liberal Democrat candidate for Mid-Derbyshire
- Wera Hobhouse MP is the Liberal Democrat MP for Bath, standing to retain her seat
- Sir Ed Davey is defending his seat of Kingston and Surbiton
- Linda Johnson is the Liberal Democrat candidate for the Haltemprice and Howden constituency in Yorkshire
- Gideon Amos is the Liberal Democrat candidate for Taunton Deane in Somerset
- Dr Kate O`Kelly is the Liberal Democrat candidate for Chichester
- Rhys Taylor is the Liberal Democrat candidate for Cardiff North
- Louise Harris is the parliamentary candidate for Filton & Bradley Stoke in South Gloucestershire
- Dinah Keal is the Liberal Democrat candidate for Thirsk and Malton
- Robert Eggleston is the Liberal Democrat candidate for Mid Sussex
- Jules Ewart is the Liberal Democrat Candidate for Suffolk Coastal
Oli Henman is the Liberal Democrat candidate for Lewes
- Rebecca Hanson is the Liberal Democrat parliamentary candidate for Bootle constituency
- Chris Bowers is the Liberal Democrat candidate for the East Sussex constituency of Wealden.
- Kamran Hussan is the Liberal Democrat candidate for Leeds North West
- Adam Boyden is the Liberal Democrat candidate for Somerset and Frome
- Martin Wrigley is the Liberal Democrat candidate for Newton Abbot
- Tim Styles is the Liberal Democrat candidate for St Austell and Newquay
- Tim Farron is MP for Westmorland and Lonsdale, standing to retain his seat
- Olly Glover is our Liberal Democrat candidate in the previously safe Labour seat of Tooting in south London
- Andrew George Former MP for St Ives - fighting to regain the seat
- Andrew Brown is the Liberal Democrat candidate for Bristol South
GREEN LIB DEMS WE DID NOT MANAGE TO INCLUDE DURING THE SHORT CAMPAIGN...Good luck too...
- ................Sorry Guys!!
- Robert Court - Derbyshire Dales
- Dominic Skinner - Stratford on Avon
- Jemma Joy - Middlesborough East and South Cleveland
- Colin Martin - Cornwall South East
- Martin Sawyer - Northampton North
- Henrietta Bewley - Ealing North
- Lee Howgate - Churston
- Matthew Theobald - Crewe aand Nantwich
- Eleanour Rylance - Devon East