Lib Dems Fight Airport Expansion
By Southampton Liberal Democrats
Lib Dem Parliamentary Candidate for Southampton Itchen Liz Jarvis is leading the fight against the expansion of Southampton Airport in the constituency, and is urging concerned residents to sign our petition.
Liz Jarvis said:
"I have spoken to numerous Itchen residents and received lots of letters from concerned residents who will be directly impacted by the noise and pollution from the airport expansion.
"We are listening to the views of local people who are concerned about the environmental impact of this airport expansion.
"We want to see local jobs created by investment in the green economy rather than anything that will impact on people's health and wellbeing.
"I would urge everyone to sign our petition, to send a clear message that we have had enough of business interests taking precedence over the lives and health of the people of this city, and this country."
The Liberal Democrats are committed to tackling the climate emergency, and our 2019 election manifesto includes ambitious plans to achieve this:
- Insulate all low-income homes by 2025.
- Generate 80% of our electricity from renewables by 2030.
- Bring forward the UK's target to reach net-zero greenhouse gas emissions by five years, to 2045.
- Reduce the climate impact of flying by reforming the taxation of international flights to focus on those who fly the most, while reducing costs for those who take one or two international return flights per year.
- Placing a moratorium on the development of new runways (net) in the UK, opposing any expansion of Heathrow, Gatwick or Stansted and any new airport in the Thames Estuary.
- Introducing a zero-carbon fuels blending requirement for domestic flights.
- Plant 60 million trees every year.
Liz Jarvis added:
"Unless urgent action is taken to reduce emissions of greenhouse gases, the worst impacts of climate breakdown will follow, including severe damage to economies, societies and nature, the possible collapse of poor countries with weak governance most exposed to the impacts, and a huge and permanent growth in the numbers of refugees fleeing their homes.
"Southampton Liberal Democrats will continue to fight against this unnecessary expansion, and put the lives of local people first."