Green Hero - Sir Ed Davey
By Keith Melton
Deputy Leader of the Liberal Democrats
Ed Davey, Deputy Leader of the Lib Dems served as Secretary of State for Energy and Climate Change during the coalition and managed to push through a very Green agenda whilst he was in the Cabinet. There has been a huge surge of renewable energy provision which was started on his watch, bringing the cost of renewable energy tumbling down over the years since then. Typical of the Tories the Department was abolished in 2016 and merged into Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy. Since then there has been much backsliding from the climate change imperative!
Ed is defending his seat of Kingston and Surbiton against a full house including both UKIP and the Brexit Party as well as the Monster Raving Loony Party and the Green Party - and also the red and blue old guard. His emphasis is very much to "decarbonise capitalism" and he has campaigned vigourously to ensure we keep fossil fuels in the ground. Getting businesses and pension funds and local authority capital investments divested from fossil fuels is a major priority for him.
Brexit threatens our Environment
Ed Davey also backs the Green Lib Dem position that we have much stronger protection for the Environment as members of the European Union and that this is one important reason, amongst many others of course, that we should STOP BREXIT. Sir Ed has been a key speaker at the Stop Brexit marches, which have attracted crowds estimated at a million and more over the last couple of years. Many of the laws we have passed over the years to protect our fragile environment have started with discussion at European level.
- "It's simple - no economic plan is remotely credible if it doesn't start with stopping Brexit. In comparison, by cancelling Brexit, we can generate a £50 billion Remain Bonus. We will invest this in schools and tackling our country's shameful levels of inequality.
- But that's not all. If we're going to build a better future for our children, we must decarbonise capitalism. As Chancellor of the Exchequer, I'll authorise £100 billion of spending to fight the climate crisis.
- We'll spend this smartly, too. This money includes a £10 billion Renewable Power Fund to generate an extra £100 billion of private sector investment. This will catapult Britain to the forefront of clean energy generation. It'll make us a world leader in not just off-shore wind, but tidal power.
- Not only that, we'll invest £15 billion in greener heating. We want to end fuel poverty by 2030. We'll invest in insulation, cutting energy usage and bills, and ensuring everyone can live in a properly heated home.
- The Liberal Democrats have a real plan to stop Brexit and fight the climate crisis. Only a vote for us on the 12th December is a vote for a brighter future. And I'm excited to get to work making that happen!"
This is the real Climate Crisis Election
Sir Ed has made it clear that the pain of Brexit, although very significant, would be more than overwhelmed if we do not also ensure that this election is seen to be about tackling the Climate Emergency. The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) has made it abundantly clear that this generation is the first to see in detail how dangerous the Climate Emergency is - but is also the last generation with the time to do anything about it. Ed Davey is leading the fight to put the environmental agenda front and centre in UK politics in THIS election at THIS moment.
Sir Ed Davey is a key figure for our Green Liberal Democrats team which can make environmental change happen in Parliament, so we'll be doing all we can to help get him elected. Will you join us?
For more Green Heroes go to the Green heroes front page here >>> https://greenlibdems.org.uk/en/page/green-heroes