The Greenest Government Ever - David Ward for Bradford East
Protecting our Environment
We want to protect the environment so that future generations are not left paying for the mistakes of the generations before them and to fight climate change with Five Green Laws, which are:
1. A Nature Bill: key measures include legal targets for biodiversity, clean air, clean water and access to green space, extending the Right to Roam and establishing new marine and coastal reserves.
- We will pass a Nature Act to put the Natural Capital Committee on a permanent, legal footing. The NCC will set targets for cleaning up our air and water, improving habitats for wildlife and plants, and increasing reuse and recycling - targets the government will be required to meet.
- We will significantly increase the amount of accessible green space.
- We will complete the Coastal Path, boosting tourism and letting people explore our incredible natural heritage.
- We will introduce a fuller Right to Roam, reducing restrictions that prevent people exploring nature while - of course - allowing farmers to protect crops and livestock.
- We will place Britain's forests in a protected trust to stop them ever being sold off, and we will develop the national tree planting programme, to help children across the country feel a personal connection with their environment.
2. A Heating and Energy Efficiency Bill: key measures include building on the Green Deal with a national programme to raise the energy efficiency standards for all Britain's households. We will legislate to boost renewable and district heating programmes and heat saving standards.
- To require every home to be properly insulated by 2035, keeping bills down, cutting carbon, and keeping people cool in summer and warm in winter.
- Everyone who insulates their home fully will get £100 off their Council Tax for 10 years.
- Create a new "feed out tariff" to reward people who install solid wall insulation. Rented homes will have to be fully insulated (to Band C) by 2027. And everyone who is "fuel poor" will be eligible to have their home upgraded by this date.
3. A Zero Waste Britain Bill: key measures include establishing a "Stern Report" on resource use, with binding targets and a clear action plan to reduce waste and end biodegradable landfill.
4. A Zero Carbon Britain Bill: key measures include introducing a decarbonisation target for electricity generation, expanding the powers of the Green Investment Bank and banning electricity generated from unabated coal.
- Set an ambitious 2030 target to reduce carbon emissions from the power sector to between 50-100g CO2 per kwh, and getting rid of coal power generation by 2025.
- Continuing the shift to cleaner energy, supported by the Green Investment Bank, will support 250,000 low carbon jobs by 2020.
5. A Green Transport Bill: key measures include establishing a full network of charging points for electric cars, only allowing low emission vehicles on the roads from 2040 and reforming planning law to ensure new developments are designed around walking, cycling and public transport.
Please show your support for our Green Laws by signing at: