60% more wind turbines shows that Government is Greenest Ever
Bradford MP, David Ward has warmly welcomed news there are now 60% more windfarms across Yorkshire and The Humber thanks to the Liberal Democrats in Government - proving that this is the Greenest Government yet.
In a written answer to a Parliamentary Question, Rt Hon Matthew Hancock MP, the Minister of State for Energy and Climate Change, confirmed that the number of windfarms installed in the Yorkshire and Humber region was 60% higher under this Government compared to the previous Labour Government.
Under the last Government 1,327 wind turbines were installed across the region compared to the 2,151 wind turbines installed under a Liberal Democrat Energy Secretary. This is a 60% increase in only 5 years, which is a fantastic achievement.
Increasing energy from renewable sources has been a key policy of this Government which has been successfully achieved with the establishment of the world's first Green Investment Bank, helping treble renewable electricity generation in the country. Britain is ranked No.1 in the world for offshore wind investment and onshore wind which now produces around 5% of the UK's electricity and solar generating capacity has increased by 60% in 2013.
Other noteworthy Green achievements from this Government:
- Over a Million Homes fitted with energy efficiency measures since 2010
- Agreeing EU wide carbon emission reduction of 40% by 2030
- Reformed the electricity market to create the world's first low-carbon electricity market which will help stimulate up to 250,000 green jobs across the UK by 2020
- Introduced 5p charge on plastic bags
- Introduced The Big Tree Plant, the first government tree planting initiative since the 1970s, which has now planted more than a million trees since 2010.
Commenting on the Government's Green record, Bradford MP David Ward said:
"Without a doubt, this is the Greenest Government ever and I'm proud that we have been able to implement green reforms and increase investment in renewable energy at a time when money is tight.
"Through schemes like the Green Deal and Energy Companies Obligation, we have ensured that over 1 million homes across the country have received energy efficiency measures which help reduce climate change and more importantly reduces energy bills, often for the most vulnerable.
"But we aren't resting on our laurels, there is much more to do and that's why the Liberal Democrats and I want to go further and introduce five new Green Laws, to reduce carbon emissions, increase fuel & homes efficiency and securing the beauty of our natural environment for future generations."
The Liberal Democrats Five Green Laws in General Election Manifesto:
1. A Nature Bill: key measures include legal targets for biodiversity, clean air, clean water and access to green space, extending the Right to Roam and establishing new marine and coastal reserves.
2. A Heating and Energy Efficiency Bill: key measures include building on the Green Deal with a national programme to raise the energy efficiency standards for all Britain's households. We will legislate to boost renewable and district heating programmes and heat saving standards.
3. A Zero Waste Britain Bill: key measures include establishing a "Stern Report" on resource use, with binding targets and a clear action plan to reduce waste and end biodegradable landfill.
4. A Zero Carbon Britain Bill: key measures include introducing a decarbonisation target for electricity generation, expanding the powers of the Green Investment Bank and banning electricity generated from unabated coal.
5. A Green Transport Bill: key measures include establishing a full network of charging points for electric cars, only allowing low emission vehicles on the roads from 2040 and reforming planning law to ensure new developments are designed around walking, cycling and public transport.